Wednesday, May 2, 2007

LM3875 mono blocks

The LM3875 is an "amp-on-a-chip" which can deliver 56W RMS. The first amp I built with these chips is this one. The other amp, using this chip, is my nanoo (like iPod nano) see my other Blog for this. These have a big clear sound and when combined with my valve amp is my axe of choice these days and is used for about 90% of my listening. UF diodes and 4.7uf ploies provide the prefiltering. The line caps (main power caps) are 2 X 1000 uf (4,000uf in total) low ESR electrolytics.

The sound stage is broad and deep with instruments well defined. They deliver good power and are fast and crystal clear. The distortion levels of the chip are extremely low. I would recommend these chips to anyone wishing to build a high quality reasonably powered amp. The mono blocks help create the excellent sound stage which still astounds me when listening to new material.

No comments: