Saturday, May 5, 2007

Chip amp PS

Not much in here! The beauty of the chip amps is there top PSRRR. The amps run very quiet with no distinguishable noise from a meter back and only a slight hum/buzz with the ear against the speaker. I always use a power filter and you can see this at the back where the 240V power lead connects. I only ever use white power cords because they sound the best (just joking).

The multi-colour umbilical cord is fixed at this end but plugs into the amp (nanoo or mono block) using a RS232 socket. At the destination ens of the power card U place a ferrite choke. So any stray RF generated in the PS or traveling through the PS is choked-off before entering the amp. And of course any RF generated in the amp is stop at the power lead.

4.7uf polies do the pre-filter power clean-up job. In this PS I used a rec. bridge but in others (mono blocks) I used UF diodes. Small caps (.01uf) should be used to snubb the diodes/rec. bridge. 160VA toroidal trannis 25-0-25V @3.2A are used. If you are a bit anal about using a combination of 4.7uf polies and 2,000uf low ESR line caps put a couple of 10,000uf electrolytics across the supplier just after the diodes. Snubb the big caps with .1uf green caps. Try my combo first with the rest of your system. You can always add the bigger power caps later them later.

I use a 10A simple power switch. The amp, going hard, would only pull about about 2A so the switch and whole PS are well rated. In the mono blocks I fused both power rails with 2A inline fuses. I am yet to blow a fuse.

I'm not big on leds so I put .1uf cap across them to keep them quiet and run them about 1/8th brightness. Heavily twist your wires inside the case particularly any AC carrying wires. The heavy die-cast case keeps PS noise low and I earth the cases to keep any RFI out.

No comments: